Memorial Day Acrostic Poem
- Discuss the importance of the Memorial Day holiday with students. Then, teach them how to write acrostic poems and show examples.
- Encourage students to choose a word such as America, Freedom or Soldier.
- Write the letters vertically down the paper (one letter in each row).
- Use the letters to start each line of writing and ensure each line relates to Memorial Day. For example, if a student chooses the word Freedom, the first line could read: F - Fought for our freedom.
- Have students decorate their poems with artwork.
Optional: encourage students to read their poems to the group.