Declared a U.S. federal holiday in 1971, Memorial Day is a day to pay respect to the men and women who have lost their lives in the service of their country. Educators can provide Memorial Day activities to help students understand the importance of the holiday to American history.
Memorial Day Thank-You Cards
- Encourage students to make thank-you cards for U.S. soldiers for their courage and service.
- Glue or staple the white paper onto the construction paper.
- Fold the papers in half horizontally.
- On the bottom half, ask students to write notes of appreciation to the soldiers.
- On the top half, have students create their own artwork in celebration of Memorial Day.
- Encourage students to decorate the front and back of the thank-you card.
- Contact Operation Gratitude to send students' thank-you cards to veterans, wounded warriors or service members who are currently deployed.