Mother’s Day is an opportunity to honor moms and to thank them for the many ways they make life special. Help students celebrate their moms with this Mother's Day Bouquet arts & crafts activity!
Mother's Day is celebrated on the second Sunday of May.
- 12” x 18” construction paper in various colors crayons
- 1” x 6” construction paper strips in assorted colors
- jumbo crayons for curling
- 2” paper circles in various colors
- small balloons in assorted colors
- adult scissors
- Give each child a piece of 12” x 18” construction paper positioned vertically. Ask them to color a big stem in the center of their paper, making it very tall and fat. Invite them to add leaves and ground as well.
- Let each child choose about five strips of paper.
- Demonstrate how to put a curl into the paper strip by rolling the paper tightly around a jumbo crayon, holding it for a moment, and the slipping the crayon out (keeping the curl intact). This curled strip becomes one curled “flower petal.”
- Show the children how to glue one end of the petal at the top of the stem so that the curl spirals up to make a three-dimensional flower. Repeat the curling process until there are about five petals arranged in a circle to form the flower.
- Next, ask each child to choose a small circle and glue it on top of the ends of the strips, covering the ends to make the center of the flower.
- Blow up the balloons until they are about 3” in diameter and tie them shut (adult only).
- This step should be done by an adult. Use the sharp end of a pair of scissors to poke a hole in the center of the circle and ease the balloon through the hole so that the tied end is on the back of the picture and the balloon is sticking out as the flower’s center. Glue another 2” circle on the back to secure the balloon
More to do:
Have the children make the flowers into a card to take home before Mother’s Day.
Activity taken from Gryphon House.