With only a few inexpensive materials, you can get your classroom in the musical spirit - and teach them about pitch and engineering!
Materials Needed (per harmonica):
- 1 Wide Rubber Band
- 2 Small Rubber Bands
- 1 Straw
- 2 Jumbo Craft Sticks
- Cut your straw into two pieces. Each should measure 1 - 1.5 inches long.
- Stretch the wide rubber band around the craft stick, gently placing one of the cut straws under the band.
- Place the second craft stick on top and attach the two sticks with one of the small rubber bands. The band should be placed on the same end as the straw.
- Place the second piece of straw OVER the wide rubber band at the other end of the harmonica. Close this end up with the second small rubber band.
- Have your students place the harmonica up to their mouth and blow! The pitch can vary depending on the how hard or soft the student is blowing.
This activity is quick and easy to create, and the final product can be used time and time again!
For a full list of instructions (with pictures) check out Frugal Fun 4 Boys.