This science experiment for kids explores plant growth and teaches students about root systems by growing beans on cotton balls.
- Glass jar or bottle
- Cotton wool balls/wads
- Dried beans
- Discuss what plants need to grow, the purpose of leaves and how plants absorb water. Students can also explore plant life cycles and root systems.
- Stuff cotton wool balls into the glass jar.
- Then, stick one bean on either side of the jar in order to watch two beans growing at once.
- Water it until the cotton wool is damp but not too wet, and place the jar in the window.
- What happens after three days? One week? Two weeks? Have students observe, measure and record the beans growth over time.