With the recent attention on the value of STEM education, it's the perfect time to share resources for teaching STEM in afterschool.
Afterschool programs are the perfect setting for STEM learning! STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) is best taught through hands-on, student-centered activities that allow students to explore, build, invent, solve problems and be actively engaged in their learning. During afterschool or expanded learning time, educators have opportunities to foster creativity, collaboration and critical thinking, which are limited in the traditional classroom.
With the recent attention on the value of STEM education, it's the perfect time to share resources for teaching STEM in afterschool. Check out the following tools, apps and resources:
- Afterschool Alliance | STEM Resources - References, assessment tools, curricula and other resources to get started with afterschool STEM.
- 10 Essential STEM Teaching Practices - Tips and proficiencies for STEM educators teaching middle school students.
- STEM For ALL | STEM in Afterschool Resources - Collection of guides, curricula, activity ideas and professional development resources to teach STEM.
- Preparing and Supporting STEM Educators - Tips and recommendations for preparing educators to provide high-quality STEM instruction.
- Science After School (SAS) Consumers Guide - Source for activities and resources that support afterschool science.
- We Are Teachers | List of 60 apps for teaching STEM and STEAM.
- Robotics - Getting Started Guide from 4-H Development Experts - Resources and strategies to successfully add robotics to your afterschool curriculum.
- Out-of-School Time Resource Center (OSTRC) | STEM Documents - Documents pertaining to STEM and informal science education as well as opportunities to blend both with out-of-school time programming.
- NASA and Afterschool Programs: Connecting to the Future - Brief that discusses the NASA role in afterschool to encourage U.S. students to pursue a career in science, technology, engineering or math.